Thursday, November 13, 2014

WCC Students Style for Comfort


As the only community college in the lower Hudson Valley, with a Fashion Merchandising Program, Westchester Community College is unique. Only 30 miles north of the fashion center of the North East, trendy eccentric styles rub off on many of the students.  With the colder months heading through, students say, they are looking more for comfort rather than style.

Andrew, a WCC student, says "I'm perfectly comfortable showing up in my PJs". He's not alone. Plenty of students say the same. "It gets really cold sometimes and walking from building to building is no joke." A fellow student, Dakota says.

No matter the weather, certain students without a doubt will make a fashion statement out of even sweats."Its never about the trend or what celebrities are wearing here." Says Fashion Major, Sabrina. "Its 'I'm going to survive today and look cute too.' That's the type of mentality you need." Sabrina walks around campus wearing a studded detail jacket and leggings paired with thigh high boots. Sabrina is just one of the many examples of students fighting the cold with style.


19 comments:

  1. It was easy to follow the flow of the written portion of your blog post, I especially liked how you incorporated student quotes into it instead of all narration. One thing in the video itself that I thought could use a quick fix, was the onscreen writing and how it passed by very quickly, I wasn't able to catch what it said without pausing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic i can totally relate to because though i take pride in my appearance sometimes i just want to casually jump out of bed a drag on a sweatshirt and sweatpants. Though it was hard to understand some of the things that were being said just a little more projection and and pronunciation would have made this video more jubilant !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how the text was almost exactly what your video showed, however I would've liked to see more of the fashion program at WCC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done video. The written portion needs some fixing but read well overall. The video would benefit from a stronger intro. Maybe some b-roll of students with catchy narration. Also, I don't think you should have narrated over the on-screen quote. It was distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the video and your ability to see everyone's views on fashion in the community college. Your shot angles are great there are some medium close ups and mid-shots. While watching i've gained an interest in the character and wanted to know more about their fashion sense and ways to coordinate that with their commute, which helped keep me entertain throughout your video. One thing I think you could add in are smooth transitions, it wasn't really clear how your video began.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the fact that you got an opinion from both ends of the topic. Someone who really focused on being comfortable ( the man in the sweats ) and someone who put in a little more effort ( the female ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The video presented nicely and was formatted well. The grammar and formatting in the text below could use some improvement. For example, the sentence "With the colder months heading through, students say, they are looking more for comfort rather than style," can do without the comma after "students say..." That same sentence can even be reformatted into something like "With colder months ahead, many students say they are sacrificing fashion for function to beat the frigidness." Thus the sentence is more compact and reads more pleasantly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since this is your passion It was a great topic, comfort to me is key. I liked how it was several fashion opinions of students and not just one particular interviewer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the written part explained everything pretty well, however as far as the actual video goes, i think going a bit deeper into the fashion program at WCC would have helped a lot. Overall it gives us a solid idea on fashion here on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that you used wide and angles shot and pans to captured what the students were wearing. Although, using a plain white wall as a background for your interviews, it didn't bring any stylish flavor. The video would of been more stylish and flavorful if the interviewees were standing next to an artistic/colorful piece, or even have them outside next to a tree were the leaves are blossomed during the fall. That would of gave the video a more stylish tone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you didn't just focus on the really dedicated dressers on campus, its so true that most days I'm just looking to be comfortable while I spend a long day at school. I would've liked to hear from maybe a professor or student about why its so great that WCC offers that program and is the only one in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the various clips of students' giving their commentary (in as little as 60 seconds), which felt longer being that they got in great depth. I feel as though you should have had the 3 actual students (or more) walk in a line after each other, instead of you showing off your own outfit. Other than that, it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. its great that you used different angles in your videos. it worked because your topic was about fashion. the audio could of been better when interviewing. i liked the quote in your video it made it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you choose a great topic for a blog, fashion is ever-changing, so every video you make on it will be different, yet still about the same subject, and most blogs usually focus on one subject. so its good that you choose something that will always deliver new content. i really liked the quote you choose, it setup the video well, i also liked the arrangement of the clips, starting with a students opinion, made me laugh and curious to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the Alexander Wang quote, but you're also narrating over it so it clashed with the quote (had to pause to read, then go back to hear what you were saying). The edit at the 1:00 mark with the Andrew's audio over the panning shot of his outfit worked really well. I would have liked some more b-roll on the intro with the students introducing themselves but that's just me. Good video!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of this project. Hearing everyones opinions on their own styles is nice because you get to know a little about them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked how accurate your article was to the video, it was easy to see how interested you were in fashion

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like that you talked to several students but your video would have been improved with still/close-up shots of some of what they were wearing. Also, a reporter should always do their best to remove themselves from the story so using yourself in the video defeats that goal. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete