Thursday, November 13, 2014

Spotlight: Port Chester’s Own Clothing Boutique “Native Goods”



Native Goods is Port Chester’s one of a kind streetwear clothing boutique, owned by town natives Jormar Castillo (25) and Luis Mendoza (21). Opened in 2012, Native Goods offers a variety of hats, shirts, sneakers, and sweatshirts from brands like Diamond Supply Co, 5Boro, and Pink Dolphin (just to name a few)! Jormar wanted to give back, “bring something new”, to the town both young men grew up in. Native Goods offers something different in retail opposed to the big corporate retailers in town like Marshalls or Kohl’s. The boutique is steadily popular with the youth in town, and even got the likes of fellow Latino comedian, George Lopez when he was last preforming at the Capitol Theater as seen on the store's Instagram page.


Native Goods is about bringing style and flair along with a positive spotlight to a small suburban town like Port Chester. Check them out next time you’re at a show at The Capitol Theater! Native Goods is conveniently located across the Port Chester train station, and a street behind the Capitol Theater: 136 Irving Ave, Port Chester, NY 10573. Native Goods is opened from 12pm to 8pm Tuesdays though Saturday, and 12pm to 5pm on Sundays.

You can follow Native Goods on Facebook and Twitter. Support local businesses! 

16 comments:

  1. I liked that when he started talking about what kind of clothes they carry you cut to a shot of the clothes in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the interview. Always nice to hear of a unique and different business that isn't common in the area. The store looks awesome and the owner seems to be a smart businessman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the video was well put together and very clear with the shots you captured also, the transitions were smooth. I think that when your narrating you should pronounce your words more clearly so that it easily comes to the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview ! I like the concept of these two guys creating their own business, so i think this was a great topic. I think you could have used smoother transitions in your pecs but other than that I like your camera shots. Wide angle, close up, panning in. Good video !

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the video, it makes me happy to see a fellow natives support each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your clip was good I love how it was about young men in there community doing something positive being young business men. I live in Port Chester never knew this was there I will have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your footage inside of the store as well as outside, however you should've projected your voice and enunciated your speech. Nice video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that your story got straight to the point and it was simply told. But, the shots were very shaky along with jumping through the transitions very quickly, and that wasn't pleasing to the eye. also, It would of been a good thing if you had cut out the part when you said "um", before the question because that "um", gives the video a un-professional rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't know they were located by the train station. it was hard to hear the audio, but the video was good. the owner was looking very unprofessional and didn't seem comfortable. i liked how the whole video wasn't just on the owner but you captured the clothes and the sign outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i need to check this story out. nowadays we are seeing less and less privately owned shops in local Westchester towns, and its even more rare to see a store owned by 2 young entrepreneur's. you got some good shots of the store, and its merchandise, and it made me want to go there, the only issue was the audio, but thats minor. well done !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that while you were interviewing him you shot some of the clothes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A really close friend of mine worked there last semester and she actually got me interested in some of the brands there. i think this was a great little topic to film about and liked the shots you made so i could get a closer look at the passion of this young entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative, right to the point. Loved the footage you provided, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good idea but I did want more with the owner. Overall it felt more like a commercial than a news story. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete