Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Ray Rice People Don't Know

Arguably the best athlete to come out of the Hudson River Valley, Ray Rice, has been one of the most talked about people in the world beginning in February of 2014, and all for the wrong reasons. But one local man is talking about Ray Rice in a perspective that the world might of missed. I sat down with Alex Pickel and he told me about a side of Ray Rice many do not get to see. 


 Ray Rice was video taped hitting his wife in an Atlantic City casino elevator in February. When the video was finally released was when people had the most to say about him. All of the sudden that Super Bowl winning all-pro running back who build a name for himself not only on the field but also of the field was quickly forgotten for his success and kindness, and remmebered for the assault charge he received from this incident. That was only the beginning of his nightmare, followed up with a long suspension from the NFL, being dropped from every single endorsement deal, and probably the most negative one, peoples opinions completely taking a change. 

17 comments:

  1. The audio could've been better, hearing Professor Luther's voice in the background was a little distracting. You had good and interesting material and I wish the video was longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like the audio over the pictures wasn't the best option. Maybe text would of been better followed up with a longer interview clip or other clips to supplement the video. As well when editing if you could of panned out the video so it could of filled up the screen for easier view would of been great. The article was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the topic, however in the interview clip the person being interviewed he said " I don't know him personally" and your article said that he knew him personally so it kind of threw me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a hot topic in the sports world. As a sports fan I enjoyed this piece I know a few people that have spoken highly of Ray Rice as well. Sad story for the Rice family but a great story for journalists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you did the interview on Ray Rice, definitely good topic choice. Although I could not hear the video, your article was pretty good. Your high to low shot was good. I feel that you needed more shots in the video to make it really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think within the video that wider shots would have been more effective so that anyone watching this video can see the entire scene and not just black space surrounding it. Also, when writing your post I think you should just make sure to double check for any grammatical errors to improve your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clip was ok I felt your interviewing part was a little off you stated the guy knew Ray personally and he said he didn't it was confusing. It is no doubt that the Ray Rice story was one of the top stories of 2014

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the topic just would have liked to see more Angles maybe a closeup or two. I also liked that you put pictures in your video to give it that extra boost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great, polarizing topic that has grabbed national attention. The fact that you were able to sit down with someone who knows Ray Rice personally gives you a story telling advantage. You would have done well to extend the video and text a little bit more, but because you had the right source and asked all of the right questions, the viewer still comes away well informed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish that you would of used more pictures as B-role over the interview. On top of that, the interviewee wasn't facing the camera and it was very static, so I felt no connection between him what so ever. And, obviously, there's poor audio, especially being that there is talking in the background of the narration. Re-recording the narration would of helped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should have picked someone who KNEW him (not like someone who lived with him), because the guy not personally knowing him made him a bit discreditable. However, his answers were informative and the pictures in the beginning and end were nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you topic was good. i wished that you had someone that had more to say about ray rice and how they influenced them. your video could of had more in it to make it more interesting. overall i learned a few new things from your video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i liked that you kept yourself in the shot of the athlete you were interviewing. this story was directly to the point in the description and in the video. seeing the memorabilia was awesome, it was good to hear a story about him as an athlete instead of one about his personal problems.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The Ray Rice People Don't Know" is right...the interviewee didn't know Ray Rice personally. I've seen the elevator video (which I'm surprised wasn't a link you added - the assignment called for a link to be added to the article) and I'm obviously not convinced Ray Rice wasn't a "monster" as the interviewee said. That was a poor choice of words if you're trying to change people's opinion on Ray Rice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was hard to hear some of the narration but you picked a good topic, and it's nice to hear from someone who actually knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hearing from someone who actually knew Ray Rice definitely provides a different feel on the situation, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good idea but it didn't really deliver what I expected; your subject didn't know him personally so it still felt like hearsay. Also, your text didn't set up the story in a clear way and there were no embedded links. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete