Thursday, November 13, 2014

Customer Says EcoATM Fails At Theft Policies


     EcoATM is supposed to be a user-friendly and automated machine that consumers use to recycle old cell phones, MP3 players, and tablets for cash. Shomari Marbury experienced the not-so-friendly side of this EcoATM kiosk.  When his phone was stolen at an unconventional place...church. Once noticing that his iPhone was missing, he used the application Find My iPhone to locate his phone. He found it at the Galleria Mall in White Plains NY in the EcoATM Kiosk. Mr. Marbury talked with the Galleria Mall's security about his situation and for them to release his phone from the machine. They told him he had to contact EcoATM, which he did and their representative told him to follow the Theft Policies
     After following the instructions, Marbury says EcoATM gave him many excuses on why his phone is not in his hands. They told him he needed a police report and fax them the documents. Mr. Marbury sent a police report incident number to EcoATM, but EcoATM refused to take it and stated that the incident number wouldn't  be acceptable as a police report, even after the police contacted EcoATM and told them that they are the same document. At this point Marbury is at a standstill without his cell phone for a year and counting and left wondering, "What is EcoATM really? A place where consumers can go green and recycle their devices or a place where criminals can get green."

13 comments:

  1. Good storytelling, I liked the shots of the ATM that showed what they say their policies are and then going back to your interview to show how they contradicted what we saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough thing to go through. I enjoyed the video and his take on his experience thought it was very well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This video is good I like the variety of shots you had, wide angle, close ups, medium close ups, panning; it thought it was very creative and smooth transitioning. The only thing I would improve is the audio in the beginning when your speaking but it is a good video. I like the topic because it informed me of something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the topic because it never really occurred to me that theft could be connected to a downside of recycling. I do think that the video itself is kind of one sided because it paints the picture that no one is truly trying to help get the phone back, I think it would've played out better if both sides of the story were told so that the audience/viewer can decide with just the facts what to think of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The topic was ok i thought it was sad that he got his phone stolen at a place of worship nowhere is safe I tell ya.. I would have liked to see someone else's opinion on the topic and there experience as well, it was one sided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well told story, nice B-roles, interview, and the narration was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great topic, thats really messed up that they havent addressed this issue. im never using one of those atms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great topic, some real investigative journalism stuff here! Zooming into the atm sticker about reporting stolen phones was good. Your interview covered all the Who what when where why questions asked of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the interview was set up, really gave me a feel for subject, made me question what I'd do if I was in that situation

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you recorded the signs of the eco atm that are supposed to make the experience feel safer rather than the opposite taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well put together! I'm a sucker for great b roll and you captured the scene perfectly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great questions and even better topic. i was unaware that this was even a thing thanks for the incite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job and I appreciate your choice of topic as it had a nice consumer alert/news-edge. Your narration was a bit rushed and hard to understand at times. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete