Thursday, November 13, 2014

Beer From Your Backyard



If you knew the beer you were drinking was made in a basement a few blocks away, would you be surprised? This is exactly the appeal of locally brewed craft beer, a trend that appears to be on the rise not only in Westchester but across the country. Beer has always been popular amongst even casual drinkers, but why has this trend gained so much traction in recent years? What exactly is craft beer?

The Brewers Association defines a craft brewer as small (producing less than 6 million barrels of beer per year), independent, and traditional in their production methods. While the methods and process of brewing are the same as regular beer, craft brewers are innovative in their approach to ingredients and flavors. The result is a unique beverage that can be wildly different depending on the source.

Breweries rely on local support to be successful. It seems as though one local brewery, Peekskill Brewery, has filled a need for such an establishment in our area. At first glance it looks like a trendy restaurant, but its ground floor holds incredibly large stainless steel vats that brew many of the beers served just a floor above it. Its menu states “We’re craft obsessed from the top down. Craft is clever, quality and fresh. These are the elements we use to deliver innovation to your table each and every day. Authentic and without pretense. Our mission is to deliver the comforts of a thoughtfully sourced menu in an inspired brewery atmosphere.” Their passion is exemplified by their creation of the annual Hudson Hop and Harvest Festival, a craft beer festival that has been held in Peekskill for the past three years. The enthusiasm of local beer drinkers for the beers of Peekskill Brewery and Captain Lawrence of Elmsford is evident by the strong turnout at this year's festival on October 4. A demographically varied crowd of patrons sampled the many craft beers available, a break from the most common beers found in stores. The support for local businesses and local breweries in particular is likely a promising sign for other potential brewers to get started and contribute to the continually growing beer market.

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the topic, it was very informative, during the interview i couldn't hear anything though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that your writings hold great detail and was very informative about beer i might just have to go find one of these places and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article is very detailed and pretty much sums up the pieces of your video that I could hear towards the end. I love your shots, the paning, depth of field, medium close up, and cutaways. Very interesting article it kept me entertained and gave me a new outlook on beer. The only problem I had with the video is that I couldn't hear the audio at the end of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The interview had no sound but I enjoyed the topic most college kids could relate and be interested in the story. I also enjoyed your shot of the peeksill river front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the camera angles you used in your video, I think it made it visually grasping because there was constant change with them. I think that within your video that a break in narration would have made it more effective. For example doing the narration and then showing a person being interviewed, possibly going back and forth a little like that would've made the video more dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great eye for getting good angles, and produced many good shots. The narration was clear and concise, while the individual subjects per shot were done perfectly. The text was well written and factual, with well noted sources. I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The interviews are great. You got awesome responses out of the beer lovers. The audio is rough. You should try to pull people aside to a quiet place next time to get the clearest sound. The story and video go well together. The written portion answered questions I had, after watching the video, about the brewery itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The camera angles were great, i think the interviews were the best part and by far kept me the most into the video. Also, an awesome topic that people can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Job well done! You did a excellent job of matching the narration with the B-role footage. But what I loved more was the opening sequences of first giving us images, and the pacing of those jump cuts was on point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that the audio is fixed I get a better look at how the audience feels. It seems that local beer might actually be better than store brand, they say everything taste better fresh. Great article !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greay job. Video ended to quickly for me, it was such a great job overall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The article was well written and the commentary from the people contributed well to your story, however I felt you could've show more footage of the beer itself, but it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog post was good, video good, and narrative good. Im not a beer drinker at all but I got to see how its brewed and what it looks like when stored. I also agree with the lady if I did drink beer I would give my local brewer my money instead of the store.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your video was great.I'm not a big beer drinker and didn't know they had a festival. your narration was very detailed and clear. The way you arranged you shots were great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you learn something new everyday, i never even knew there was a beer festival in Peekskill. i liked that you went out in the field and attended the event, it really gave a feel of what the environment was like. Your video description was good too. i dont know much about craft beers, so i liked how you explained everything about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how your written introduction has questions (what is craft beer?), which makes me want to finish reading and check out the video. That definitely pulls readers/viewers in. I love b-roll so I like how the interviews were conducted, but they could have used some editing - just to lower the background noise a bit so you could hear the speaker better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the shot of the riverfront, and the amount of information you included was great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the camera angles, really brought everything together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nicely done and very well thought-out overall. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete