Thursday, November 13, 2014

Ab-Soul Sells Out Irving Plaza...Again!


     For the second time in 12 months, popular rapper Ab-Soul sold out NYC's Irving Plaza, and some  inspiring fans say they're ready to start a revolution. It was October 6th, 2014, a chilly fall evening in New York City. Excitement was in the air as a plethora of fans stood outside Irving Plaza chanting "Hii Power". The statement they were chanting not only showed praise to the headliner of the show, but the term "Hii Power" itself describes a social movement, or somewhat of a new religion to follow. Ab-Soul is more than just a popular rapper in todays world, he is more focused on creating a response to the ever-increasing destructive nature of the culture in the US. Soul has been traveling all around the country lately on tour promoting his most recent album "These Days". 

     Along for the ride were fellow label mates as well as musicians from other camps. The openers for the show consisted of the independent group "Earth Gang" along with Dreamville artist "Bas".  The Album was backed and financed by Souls record label T.D.E (Top Dawg Entertainment). This label has been seeing great success as of lately largely due to the rise of fellow label mates Schoolboy Q, and Kendrick Lamar. But the success of Q and Kendrick certainly does not take away anything from the ability of Ab-Soul. It is safe to say he proved his worth by selling out one of the more popular venues New York City has to offer, along with many others across the country.

     As a music reporter, it's always exciting to get a chance to talk to people who appreciate the same type music you do. It didn't take much to get a couple fans to really open up and express how they feel about music in today's world. As long as artists as passionate as Ab-Soul continue to exist and create, it's certainly looking bright for the music industry in the future.



16 comments:

  1. I loved the shots of the city and the subway before the concert, really helped set the scene. The audio was surprisingly good for shots of a concert and a loud crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unique topic Tim. As a rap fan and DJ I enjoyed hearing about an underground rapper I am really not to familiar with. The shot of the street and car driving by was impressive looked professionally done! I'm going to go home and check out some of his tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This interview caught me just by the title itself. I like Ab-soul so immediately I wanted to watch your interview. As far as the video itself it had great use of shots, close ups, mid-close ups, panning, point-of-view. I saw a lot of variety int his piece which kept me interested. One thing you could change is if you could somehow brighten the interviewers, I couldn't really see them but overall, great video !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your narration in the video, it flowed very well especially with the breaks you placed in the narration with scenes of the event so that it wasn't just you speaking the entire time. The camera shots had a lot of variety. I do think in your written blog post methods could have been used so that the lead wasn't buried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shots in the clip was great of the surrounding area got to love NYC, didn't know he was so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shots of the subway and outside the Irvington Plaza gave a great "NYC Feel" and showing how many people came out to see him was nice. I hope her combed his hair and performed "Sapiosexual" LMAO ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. One od the best videos, top 3,. It was well put together, and it answered the, who, what, when, where, and why. You make me want to go see ab-soul in concert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved the different angles and shots.. it was a great video. it makes me want to go to one of his concerts.. i enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how this was shot, the video came out good despite it being dark in the venue. love how the shots were in motion for the entire video.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your video has the best b-roll footage. It really captured the whole concert experience from the subway commute to the venue, waiting on line, and getting into Irving Plaza. I like the before and after show fan interviews too. I also liked the little personal blurb in the written article. Music is also something I want to pursue as a career, maybe not reporting but it can still get personal and it's always fun to meet people who enjoy the same music as you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This video is fantastic, really entertaining, it made me curious about him, listening to him at the moment as well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually listened to him before, such a great rapper. I like the footage of the city before and the different types of shots you were able to get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The different shots while getting to the performance made me feel like i was almost there with you. i love seeing live performances so this was very cool to see it from another persons view though i felt you could have asked more questions it was mostly opinionated but i still enjoyed it your article gave me mor information though so that was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice editing, shooting and narration and your enthusiasm for the subject is engaging. My main comment is that, as a reporter, it's best to remove the "I" from the story and be more objective. You can see the grade for your project in Blackboard. Thanks ~ Prof. Luther

    ReplyDelete